Miri is a mother of three young children, all attending ASD schools, and her family is deeply committed to the Anacortes community. For the past 2.5 years, Miri has regularly volunteered in the classroom and on field trips throughout the school year. Miri is a member of the PTA at Whitney and Island View Elementary schools and has contributed to and volunteered at school fundraisers and events. Miri has attended all school board meetings for the past year as a community member and has worked with the school district on their anaphylaxis emergency response policy review process.
Miri’s Community Experience
- Coach for multiple soccer teams through Anacortes Parks and Recreation
- Coach and Team Parent for various Little League teams
- Joined the Anacortes Little League Board of Directors in founding the Challenger Division, an adaptive baseball program for children with physical and intellectual disabilities
- Volunteers on the Board of Directors for a summer camp in the Pacific Northwest providing medical expertise and operations support.
- Serves on the Department of Medicine Executive Committee which meets on a regular basis to review all adverse patient events at Island Hospital
- Member of the Pediatric Steering Committee at Providence Health & Services.
- Small business owner with an office in downtown Anacortes
- Member of the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce
- Volunteer with Whitney and Island View PTA
My interest in the school district and the Anacortes community is strong, and I plan to live in Anacortes for a long time as my children grow and develop in the ASD. I would bring a personal passion for education and extended commitment to community service as part of my contribution to the School Board of Directors.
Miri is a Family and Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, Certified Nurse Midwife and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). She achieved her bachelors and masters of science in Midwifery and Women’s Health from Columbia University in New York City. She then completed a post-masters certificate as a Family Nurse Practitioner at the University of Massachusetts. Before pursuing a career in the medical field, Miri completed a bachelor of fine arts in musical theater at New School University in New York City and performed as an opera singer in North America and Europe. She then returned to school to complete a bachelor of science in nursing at Columbia University before moving onto the graduate level.
My work experience as a healthcare professional can provide important health and safety expertise when considering improvements to any aspect of the district program while my training as an executive and entrepreneur will help me spearhead new projects and initiatives for the district.